Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Family Recipes

Last night, I made my Dad's famous red beans and rice for dinner!
My boys loved it! Sawyer ate a huge bowl like one hungry Bear! HA!

I was thinking about how thankful I am for family recipes...
those meals that bring back memories of childhood or remind you of a loved one.

I'm thankful for my Dad's red beans and rice,
My Meme's prime rib,
My Mema's shrimp etouffee,
Chris' Mema's apple pie....
and so many others.

They remind me of those people...they remind me of holidays and times with family!

Do you have any family recipes? 
Are there recipes you remember that you'd love to make this holiday season? Ask for them!! 
And enjoy food that's not only delicious, but does the soul good! YUM!!

And maybe make some recipes of your own that can be passed down to future family! 
Now there's a fun idea...


My Dad's Red Beans and Rice Recipe 
(adapted from a Louisiana junior league cookbook from my grandmother)

Ingredients:
1 pound bag of red kidney beans
one sweet yellow onion
3-4 stalks of celery
about a tablespoon of garlic
3/4 cup of canola or corn oil
salt & pepper to taste
red pepper powder to taste (optional)
1-2 packages of Eckrich sausage 
1/2 cup of ketchup
1/4 cup of dried parsley

Soak the kidney beans in a  covered pot overnight.
(very important!! you'll thank me for it later! HA!)

Drain the soaking water and put the beans back into the pot along with 3 cups of water.

Bring the beans to a boil.


Finely chop the onion and celery


Chop the garlic


Add all three to the pot of beans.

Add the 3/4 cup of canola or corn oil as well with salt and pepper.


And yes, that was a pirate dagger on the counter behind the oil...I have three boys, what can I say?! HA!


Ok, so at this point my Dad would as red pepper to make it spicy, which I LOVE, but my boys do not...
so I opted to leave it out!

Bring it all to a boil and then turn down to simmer covered for 2- 2 1/2 hours.

You can add more water during this time if you feel like it needs it. And I would check it and give it a stir occasionally too.

At the last hour of cooking time, add the sausage.


And the ketchup and parsley and let it finish doing it's thang!

When there's about 20 minutes left on the timer...I started the rice and also some corn bread muffins.

Voila!


Delish!!!

From our Louisiana family to yours...
Thanks, Dad, for this amazing dinner!!

No comments:

Post a Comment