Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, June 13, 2011

A little dye job...

Sometimes all it takes is a little fabric dye to make a happy project come together!

I saw this amazing tutorial and was instantly inspired to dye a pair of shoes myself! Of course, it didn't hurt that I've recently been obsessed with all things yellow and the thought of a pair of yellow sneakers made me smile!

So, here's a look at the project...hopefully it will inspire you to dye something yourself!

I started with a white pair of Keds (they actually used to belong to Chris' grandmother, which makes them all the more special and worthy of some color LOVE!)




A box of RIT dye from HEB for about $1.50 did the trick. I love the Golden Yellow color!!




Rinse the shoes in hot water. Put a large pot on the stove and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn to low and add the dye package. I did a full three gallons in my big canning pot, so I was able to add the full package of dye. If you have a smaller pot, you would add less of the dye accordingly. Place the shoes into the pot for about 10 minutes, depending on the color you're going for. Mine took the full 10 minutes.





Rinse them in cold water and then leave out to dry. I eventually tossed mine into the dryer with a couple of towels just to get them to dry faster.





And Voila! Cute happy yellow shoes in about 20 minutes time! I'm going to do the elastic on the inside like the inspiration tutorial suggested!



I'm also in love with turquoise as well! It's such a cheerful summer color! I've been searching all over creation and finally found some turquoise nail polish that I LOVE! YAY!

Have a happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment